DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots (DWAG)
January 9, 2016 Meeting Notes
Next meeting: Monday, January 16, 2017, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest. See tentative agenda below.
In attendance: Marcia Riquelme, Karen Edson, John Scepanski, Frank Dederich, Ginny Brokish, Abby Lowery
- Jan. 15, 6-7:30 p.m. – Superintendent of DPI Candidate Forum hosted by East Side Progressives at Lake Edge Lutheran Church, 3032 Monona Dr.
- Jan. 20, Be the Light! Candlelight March to State Capitol! – 7:00 p.m. State and Lake Streets in Madison
- Jan. 21, Women’s March on Madison! 12:00 noon, UW campus Library Mall (700 block of State St.)
- Jan. 28 – Progressive Partners quarterly meeting, 11:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at Stoughton Fire Dept., 401 E. Main
Marcia and John volunteered to comment on Karen’s compilation of community intelligence list of names and info. on Google doc. Karen will send in an email.
Marcia gave us more education on the community bill of rights and the short survey we all filled out at a previous meeting. Paul Cienfuegos will be in the area the end of February and beginning of March. Can we get him here for a public introduction to the concept?
Karen reported on a seminar she went to Saturday on messaging: “why you do what you do or believe what you believe” is the most important part of your message. The Apple company’s booklet is an example of opening a message with that information and building from there.
AGENDA De Forest Windsor Area Grassroots 1/16/17
• Fri. Jan. 20, Be The Light! - Candlelight March to the State Capitol! - 7:00 pm State St. & Lake St. - Stories are emerging from around our country describing despicable acts of bigotry, hatred, prejudice, and xenophobia. We will walk silently to demonstrate our support for our friends and neighbors who are subject to such degrading treatment. Bring your own flashlights or fake candles.
• Women’s March on Madison! Sat. Jan. 21st 12:00 Noon UW-Madison Library Mall (700 Block of State St.) This is a local event in solidarity with those going to Washington DC. If you are interested in connecting with Wisconsinites heading to the large march in Washington, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/208275672945652/
• Sat. Jan. 28th - Progressive Partners 11:30am to around 3 pm Stoughton Fire Department training room, 401 East Main St.
• FRI. Mar. 24 and Sat Mar 25 – SAVE the DATES – WISCONSIN GRASSROOTS FESTIVAL – Friday afternoon is setup – Saturday is Festival sisconsingrassroots.net/festival has info!
• Development of a community intelligence repository Permanent item – need workers willing to review names via Google spreadsheet links sent to John S and Marcia
• Community Rights Lesson – Marcia – Permanent item
• Messaging Review – Permanent item LINKS to videos discussed last week: Start with WHY:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioZd3AxmnE
• Website continuation?
o Active McFarland site is free Active McFarland new site -https://sites.google.com/view/activemcfarlandrrteam/ - Do we want something like this instead of what we have now?
o Indivisible document/movement https://www.indivisibleguide.com/ There are local groups on Facebook!
o Problem with replacing website with Facebook: Facebook reinforces social silos – gets message most to like minded folks.
o Report on Meetup Cost - Marcia
New Business – get items to Ginny by Saturday 1/14
Report on DPI Candidate Forum 1/15 – Ginny or Frank
- Abby campaign – fundraiser?