De Forest-Windsor Area Grassroots
August 22,2016, Meeting Notes
Next meeting: Monday, August 29, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest. Someone is needed to compose a tentative agenda, lead the meeting, and take notes, as John Sc will not be able to attend. No meeting Labor Day.
Present at meeting: Karen Edson, John Stanley, Abby Lowery, John Scepanski, Frank Dederich, Ginny Brokish
Thanks to Abby for taking the notes and writing them up.
· 8/23 at 6:30 PM “War on Democracy” at Madison Central Library and discussion with Norman Stockwell from Progressive magazine
· Wed. 8/24 7:00 PM at VFW on Lakeside St, Bernie live streaming
· Starting in October until after the new year, John Stanley will not be able to come to meetings as he will be working a new job
· Stoughton Pancake Breakfast – Sat. 8/27 9:00-11:00 AM, Stoughton High School Cafetorium 600 Lincoln Ave. Enter from Devonshire Rd.
o WHY: To thank Kay and Buzz, et al, for all the hard work they have done to make our community a better place to live and work! Pick up yard signs, sign up to volunteer and visit with friends and candidates
· Sustainable Saturday Night! - Sat. 8/27 6:00 PM James Reeb U.U (2146 E. Johnson) Potluck supper followed by a community program with RePower Madison. Climate justice groups will be tabling and sharing their current activities. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
· 8th Annual Black Latino Unity Picnic! Sun. 8/28 1:00-5:30 PM Penn Park (2101 Fisher Rd.) - The event is part of an overall grassroots effort to promote unity and collaboration between the Black and Latino Communities, and is open to all communities, 100% free and 100% family friendly. Hosted by Union de Trabajadores Inmigrantes (UTI). Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1902497273311037/
· Bob Fest Sat. 9/17 9 AM- 6 PM at Breese Stevens Field in Madison
· Labor Fest Mon. 9/5 12-5:30 PM at the Madison Labor Temple
· September 12 at 6:00 PM Candidate Forum at DeForest Library
WHAT HAPPENED/WAS DISCUSSED
Report on Candidates’ Forum (Dane County clerk) last week
o Scott McDonall said he was a little bored with his job
o Karen McKim’s campaign was mentioned in today’s Wisconsin State Journal
o McDonall said Dane County is a shining star of WI because no post-election audits are required and he audited two wards starting this year
o McKim pointed out that at least nine wards need to be audited
o She said she will make sure ballot images match up with actual ballots
o Karen felt she was very persuasive and strong in her arguments.
o A lady there was disgusted with Scott McDonall and immediately donated to McKim
Organizing for November 8th election
· Organizing for Bernie – local Democratic candidates and Russ Feingold for Senate
· WGN – Possible yard sign painting event, date TBD
· Yard sign point person (Ginny) who candidates/campaigns can contact about distribution. Frank will help Ginny.
· Use our facebook page or website to ask people about what signs they want
· Jordan Turner – Abby has door hangers and yard signs if anyone wants some to keep and/or distribute
o Will email John Sc. In the future if there is a planned canvassing date
Medea Benjamin visit?
· Discussed protocol of inviting people to speak, difficulties with time pressure and lack of response from team members
· We would like to attend a book signing event if Mary would be able to organize it (or maybe Liz, Library Committee, or Jane at the library).
· [John Sc informed Mary Sanderson via email a day after the meeting.]
Native Americans protest of North Dakota pipeline
· ND Supreme Court decided that they do not have a right to protest on their own land
· Ginny and John Stanley raised $100, which increased to $800, for this cause
· WGN “What’s Hot?” page – Info about this issue
Karen McKim would like to come to speak to us
· Late September? Conflict with September 12th candidates' forum at Library?
· Share date with email list and remind them about it for good turnout
· John Sc to contact Karen McKim to set a date.