DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots (DWAG)
March 27, 2017
Next meeting: Monday, April 3, 2017, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest.
• Tues Mar 28 10 am Joint legislative committee hearing scheduled State Capitol room 411-South – re: AB165/SB107 calling for a Constitutional Convention.
• Wed. Mar. 29 – 6 PM – Candidates Forum – for DeForest Village Board – AT DeForest Library – SAVE the DATE! Support our Candidates!
• Wed. Mar. 29, Conservation Lobby Day 2017 State Capital - All day - stop by your Assembly Rep or State Senator to push your favorite conservation issue! Official League of Conservation Voters lobbying group is full BUT all help is appreciated!
• Wed. Mar. 29th - Listen, Liberal! – 6:00 pm - A Room of One’s Own Bookstore (315 W. Gorham) talk with political commentator, Thomas Frank, author of What’s the Matter with Kansas. Info? Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/712401895588060/
• Wed. Mar. 29th - Islamophobia in America – 7:30 pm UW-Madison, Memorial Union (800 Langdon St.) WUD Distinguished Lecture by Reza Aslan, internationally renowned writer, commentator, professor, producer, and scholar of religions. Info? Check out Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/266249707134869/
• Sat. Apr. 1st – Sun. Apr. 2nd - On Wisconsin Annual Spring Powwow - 10:30 am – 10:00 pm Alliant Energy Center – Grand entries on Sat. at 1 pm and 7 pm and on Sun. at 1 pm. Info, check Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1874485292832551/
• JFC regional hearings on State Budget -Mon. Apr. 3 – UW-Platteville, Platteville; Wed. Apr. 5 - State Fair Park, West Allis (Milwaukee); Fri. Apr. 7 – Berlin High School, Berlin; Tues. Apr. 18 – Spooner High School, Spooner ; Wed. Apr. 19 – Ellsworth High School, Ellsworth; Fri. Apr. 21– Marinette High School, Marinette; see http://www.wisconsinnetwork.org/blog/budget for more info
Attendance at meeting on the 27th: Frank Dederich, Stacy Biesel, John Glowacki, Karen Edson, John Scepanski, Ginny Brokish, Abby Lowery
The emphasis in the announcements above was on the March 28th hearing on the constitutional convention. Karen handed out an information sheet from state Rep. Chris Taylor and explained it. “The last time we had a constitutional convention, George Washington served as chair.” Further discussion about ALEC’s influence.
Karen lectured us on messaging with maps, that is, how some messagers lie with maps. “HOW MAPS FRAME WORLD VIEW” She gave us a four page handout with some interesting examples.
We had further discussion on distinctive t-shirts.
Should we invite the new editor of the DeForest Times-Tribune, Kim Lamoreaux, to meet us and we her? Consensus was heck yes. We decided on May 8th. Who is contacting Kim?
The consensus approved renewing the DWAG domain for another two years and authorized reimbursing Karen for it out of the treasury.
We approved selling sheets of button layouts designed by Karen (wow, Karen!) to the Dane County Dems. We also approved making and selling buttons for Kathleen Vinehout.
After adjournment, we approved inviting Jim White from MINT (Madison Isthmus Neighborhood Team) to our April 3rd meeting to speak on the 2nd Congressional District convention and relationship between DWAG and MINT. JohnSki to contact him (done).
DON’T FORGET TO VOTE APRIL 4TH!