DeForest Area Progressives
Meeting notes for October 27, 2014
NO MEETING MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3RD, due to election.
Next meeting Monday, November 10, 2014, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at Ginny’s house, 3922 Partridge Road, Windsor Hill neighborhood, Windsor.
There were six people in attendance at this October 27th DAP meeting.
Janet reminded everyone to get out there and work in these last days before Election Day. Call the Sun Prairie office of the combined campaign for information: 422-2999. Mary Bell, former head of WEAC, is leading the combined campaign from the Sun Prairie office. Canvassing and lit drops will be on these shifts from the Sun Prairie office:
Saturday canvassing: meet at the Sun Prairie office at 9:00, 12:00 noon, 3:00, and 6:00
Sunday canvassing at 12:00, 3:00, and 6:00
Monday lit drop at 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, and 6:00
Tuesday canvassing at 8:00, 11:00, 2:00, and 5:00
You can specify the DeForest-Windsor area to canvas and drop lit.
Janet brought up and we discussed the idea of taking ownership of your own neighborhood for future elections and GOTV.
There will be a fundraiser for South Central Wisconsin Move to Amend (SCWMTA) on November 5th. See the Wisconsin Grassroots Network website for details.
Sister Simone will be at Holy Wisdom Seminary on Monday.
The rest of the meeting pretty much followed Karen’s agenda handed out and cited below.
1. Before the election – take a census of signs (looking for possible new locations for message signs). WANTED – addresses with many Democratic or Green party signs on high traffic streets. Please send to Karen Edson at email@example.com As statewide signage coordinator for Wisconsin Grassroots Network, Karen will be creating a database for future reference.
2. Before election, those folks in contact with candidates’ campaign STAFFS: please ask that lists of TV, Radio and print media contacts be sent to Karen Edson at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Wisconsin Grassroots Network will be developing and maintaining a statewide database of this information for MESSAGING purposes between elections and will share it with candidates who share our values.
3. Election Night: Because so many DAP-ers are working neighborhoods and at the polls before and after voting on election day, we decided not to meet at any particular place to watch election returns.
4. IMMEDIATELY AFTER the election, collect OUR yard signs (Burke, Arnold, Ferriter, Zahn, Hesselbein, Happ, etc.). If you need help getting BIG (4X4) signs down call Karen Edson at 608-225-1458.
5. A week after the election, review the neighborhood around your home, church, shopping area, etc. for REPUBLICAN signs. Knock on THOSE doors and politely inform those homeowners that you are a volunteer collecting election yard signs for recycling. Ask them if they would like you to take theirs. If they ask what group you are with, be honest, but you do not need to volunteer it at the start of the conversation!
6. For those members who are homeowners with a yard: if you have part of your yard not visible to the neighbors, leave a strip unmown. If possible, have this piece close to shrubbery or capable of including some shrubs at one end or along one edge. The idea is to create a bird and butterfly sanctuary with native grasses and flowers being allowed to grow and the shrubs providing cover (and berries for the birds). If you can manage a heated birdbath with running water year round, you will delight both the birds and yourself with your annual migrating visitors! This and other ideas for DAP projects between elections will be the topics of meetings in the near future.
7. As a fundraise for DAP - collect and recycle aluminum cans for cash????