DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots (DWAG)
November 7, 2016 Meeting Notes
Next meeting: Monday, November 14, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest. Much of this meeting is expected to be filled with commentary about the election, so come and vent if you wish.
Present at meeting: Karen Edson, John Scepanski, Ginny Brokish, Frank Dederich, Amy Lowery
Announcements (Thanks to Karen for the Announcements.)
- Thurs. Nov. 8th 6:00 pm Madison Central Library (201 W. Mifflin) Screening of Greg Palast’s new film: The Best Democracy Money Can Buy— A Tale of Billionaires and Ballot Bandits. Hosted by the IWW Social Action and Solidarity Committee. Info? Check out the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1328099407223670/
- Fri. Nov. 11th 1:00 pm UW-Madison, Library Mall (800 block of State St.) No DAPL Rally and March to the US Bank on S. Pinckney & the Capitol Square, one of the major funders behind the Dakota Access Pipeline Project. Speakers include: Art Shegonee, leading 1st Nation/Native American Rights activist, Founder & presenter at Call For Peace Drum & Dance Co.; Madison Alder Rebecca Kemble; Brandi Grayson, co-founder of Young, Gifted and Black Coalition; Carl Sack - TAA Executive Board; P.K. Hammel - Madison Action for Mining Alternatives and National Lawyers Guild; and Teddy Shibabaw, Organizer with Socialist Alternative. Info? Check out the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/138444056626983
- Mon. Nov. 14th 4:00 pm UW-Madison, Union South – Varsity Hall (1308 W. Dayton) Protecting the Water Panel on the Importance of the Protest at Standing Rock! Join American Indian Studies for a discussion with: Dave Archambault, Standing Rock Tribal Member & Columnist; Cody Two Bears, Tribal Council, Cannon Ball, ND; Terry Evanson, Retired Hydrogeologist; and Richard Monette, UW Professor of Law.
- Thurs. Nov. 17th 6:30 pm Madison Central Library, Rm. 104 (201 W. Mifflin) An Election Postmortem - hosted by the Peregrine Forum. Info? #608-284-9082.
- Sat. Nov. 19th 6:15 pm James Reeb Unitarian-Universalist Congregation (2146 E. Johnson) Free public screening of 13th – the new acclaimed documentary about the criminal justice system, followed by a discussion. Info? Check out the Facebook event:https://www.facebook.com/events/938273396316763/
- Mon. Nov. 21st 8:00 pm High Noon Saloon (701 E. Washington Ave.) Madison WI Stands With Standing Rock! Benefit concert to support the protest efforts against the Dakota Access Pipeline and to defend our clean water and sacred earth. Suggested minimum donation - $10.00. Info? Checkout the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1220489191358168/ CANCEL MEETING TO ALLOW PARTICIPATION IN THIS EVENT????
We discussed the DWAG sign location lists. It seems that there are several. There are also several mailing lists and other lists. We should try to combine our lists and maybe make them into a master database or spread sheet and look to the future to add to the list or modify and update it as needed. If you have names and contact information for anyone who should be on the list, let Karen know or bring them to the next meeting.
Frank mentioned he had seen Frank Luntz “con” the 60 Minutes TV show recently. Ginny said The View is pretty political sometimes. The Devil’s Advocate radio show is going off the air on Mic 92.1 FM.