DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots
Meeting notes for May 23, 2016
Next meeting: Monday, May 30, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Ginny’s, 3922 Partridge Road, Windsor Hill neighborhood.
Present at May 23rd meeting: Frank Dederich, Karen Edson, Ginny Brokish, Marcia Riquelme, John Scepanski, John Stanley
- Where to Invade Next! - Wed. May 25th 6:00 pm - Goodman Public Library (2222 S. Park St.) - free public screening of Michael Moore’s latest movie. Hosted by the Action and Solidarity committee of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW).
- Bean Feed at the Labor Temple - Wed. May 25 - 6:00-7:15 PM. - $5/person contribution for dinner: benefits SCFL's Committee on Political Education. This is an important and fun event to support our partners/friends in Labor.
- This Changes Everything - Wed. May 25th - 7:00 pm Barrymore Theater (2090 Atwood Ave.) – screening of the new Avi Lewis film, narrated and inspired by Naomi Klein’s latest book. Tickets are $8.00 ($5.00 for students). Sponsored by 350 Madison, WILPF, Madison Institute, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Sierra Club, Prairie UU Social Committee among others.
- Eating Liberally - Fri. May 27th 6:00 PM - Waterhouse Bistro, (132 E. Lake Street, Lake Mills). Featured speaker: Khary Penebaker, (running against Jim Sensenbrenner - 5th CD) starts at 6:30 and evening ends at 8:00 PM.
- Conference calls this Thursday and Friday at 7:00 p.m. concerning state Dem convention resolution limiting powers of super-delegates to national convention and Friday concerning Scott Wittkopf offerings; contact John Stanley for details.
- May 31st fundraiser and announcement of candidacy of Karen McKim for Dane County Clerk; details to follow
- June 14 – meeting with Wisconsin Democratic Party chair Martha Laning and grassroots representatives at downtown Madison DPW HQ
Ginny led a discussion of plans for our DWAG participation in the DeForest 4th of July festivities, including our float in the parade. More to follow at future meetings between now and then.
Frank reported that Meeting.com still works. Marcia said that some people have responded via Meeting.com. Some DWAG members have been “posting,” “liking,” and “sharing” on our Facebook page.
Karen McKim asked that our Dane County candidates’ forum be scheduled in September, instead of during the summer months. Members agreed.
Marcia handed out copies of the draft resolution on the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP). It duplicates the resolution passed two years ago by the Dane County Board, disapproving of the TPP. We discussed a plan to bring the resolution to the attention of the Windsor and DeForest village boards and ask them to pass a similar resolution, as is being done nationwide in many jurisdictions. John Stanley will post the draft on Chip Van Meter’s website. Karen is drafting a letter to the editor. Marcia will write something up. Karen is writing up something criticizing President Obama for pushing the TPP.
Marcia talked about Marjorie Mathews and her recent University Staff Excellence Award from the UW College of Letters and Science. Ms. Matthews is an employee at the Lafollette School of Public Affairs.
Karen will purchase the domain name D-WAG.org for future use. She will use $16 from the DWAG treasury to do so.