DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots
Meeting notes for June 27, 2016
Next meeting: Monday, July 11, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at THE DEFOREST PUBLIC LIBRARY, 203 Library Street, DeForest. See agenda below.
NOTE: no meeting July 4th for obvious reasons. J
Present at June 27th meeting: Karen Edson, John Stanley, Abby Lowery, Marcia Riquelme, John Scepanski
· Tuesday 7/12 - 6:00-9:00PM. -Blues for Bernie - Brink Lounge 701 E. Washington Ave., Madison. Fundraiser for DNC delegates. $10.00 suggested donation at the door.-poster available-contact Karen or John Stanley. GoFundMe site link:https://www.gofundme.com/23swd3g
· Thursday 7/14 - Saturday 7/17/2016 - Netroots Nation in St.Louis.http://www.netrootsnation.org/stlouis/
· July 16: Progressive Partners quarterly meeting at Kiser Park shelter (by Oregon Pool). OAP will provide plates, cups, silverware, napkins. Noon-1:00: eat. Potluck, please bring something to share. 1:00- 3:00: discussion. Agenda: What are the plans for your groups for the November election? Can we coordinate our efforts?
- Tuesday 7/19-21st, Farm Technology Days - Lake Geneva.http://www.wifarmtechnologydays.com/
- · Friday 7/22 - Sunday 7/24 - Frac Sand Fighters' Solidarity Camp. in Hixton, WI. - More information later. Check out the registration form at the Facebook event:https://www.facebook.com/events/119509595133829/ Sand mine tours planned also workshops.
- · Saturday 9/24/2016 - The first annual Windsor Heritage Fest at Windsor Fireman's Park. The event show cases Windsor agriculture heritage with activities, music and food. Come celebrate the charming village of Windsor.
The Pocan campaign has asked if we are willing to distribute Pocan election yard signs. Will we front the money to buy them, then sell them to whoever wants them? Karen will find out more. The Feingold campaign is expected to make the same request. The Pocan campaign is also looking for barns to paint with Mark Pocan campaign ads. Who knows of any?
The Wisconsin Grassroots Network (WGN) is planning a sign painting party in DeForest sometime after the national Democratic Convention. Anyone will be welcome to come and paint signs for their favorite candidates.
Abby reported on the Jordan Turner campaign for the 37th Assembly District, challenging incumbent John Jagler. Jordan does not have a campaign manager. He needs money to buy campaign literature and to put up a website. Marcia suggested free sources to put up a website. John St. and others advised on other things Jordan’s campaign can do. Jordan does have a Facebook page with a lot on it. He is on the ballot, which is a victory of sorts in its way.
The paper mache ice cream cone is ready for the 4th of July DeForest parade float: “I Scream for Democracy.” Thanks to Ginny and Karen for making the cone. Ginny, Liz, Marcia, and maybe Peter are meeting Wed. to paint banners. We need volunteers to meet at Ginny’s the day of the parade to put on finishing touches. Any DWAG members are invited to ride on the float, walk alongside, and distribute candy. Abby is making lists of suggested readings to hand out with the candy. An email will come out with final details. Contact Ginny or Karen with questions or to volunteer.
Karen suggested a project for next year: we put together a display for the WGN Festival in Feb. or March, showing our 4th of July floats.
We are getting more requests for candidates to visit our meetings: Karen McKim is running for Dane County Clerk. Marilyn Townsend is running for Dane County Judge. We’ve already hosted Jordan Turner and Patrick Miles. Adam Gallagher and Richard Brown for County Treasurer have contacted us, and we’ve offered them dates. We must be careful not to let candidates’ visits dominate too much of our meeting time, perhaps limiting their presentations to 6:15-6:45.
DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots
July 11, 2016
DeForest Public Library
Additions to agenda
Report on and critique July 4th parade and activities -Everyone who was there
The Pocan campaign has asked if we are willing to distribute Pocan election yard signs. Will we front the money to buy them, then sell them to whoever wants them? -Karen
Candidates’ visits -John S.
Do we want to “table” at the Windsor Heritage Fest September 24th?