DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots (DWAG)
July 24, 2017
Next meeting: Monday, July 31, 2017, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest.
Present on July 24: John Scepanski, Ginny Brokish, John Stanley, Karen Edson, Frank Dederich
- Anyone willing to write a letter regarding AJR53/SJR 54 contact Janet at email@example.com - A sample LTE can be seen at:http://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/mailbag/kathleen-williams-tell-legislators-you-want-hearing-on-statewide-vote/article_659fad7d-5c20-51b0-954f-882426df89c0.html
- Every Tuesday at 1:15PM – Indivisible/OWR meets to visit a legislator. Call Ron Biendseil 608-712-6831 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be a pre-gathering meeting near their meeting spot.
- Tues Jul 25 – Meet and Greet State Sen. Kathleen Vinehout (thinking about a run for Gov.) 7:00 - 8:30 pm - at the home of Beth and Mike Cox. The event is co-hosted by Ruthy and Ron Berger, of Active McFarland. RSVP is desired but not required. RSVP to Carlene Bechen at email@example.com or 608-513-7655. Anyone wanting buttons contact Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed. Jul 26 - Fair Maps Town Hall -6:00 PM - Brewer Public Library, 325 N. Central Avenue, Richland Center.
- Sun - July 30 - DaneDems summer picnic! 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Warner Park, Madison – potluck (meat supplied by Dems)
- Wed - Aug 3 –SWWAP Democracy Forum – “We The Many - United Against Hate” - 7- 9PM - District #1 Old Schoolhouse (110 N. 2nd Street) Mount Horeb
- Wed. Aug. 9 - Lanterns for Peace! - 6:00 pm Tenney Park (1414 E. Johnson) This family-friendly event is organized around the world in remembrance of the devastating humanitarian effects of the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan during World War II. This year’s speaker is Caren Stelson, author of Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor’s Story.
- Sun – Aug 20 – Progressives of NE Dane County Meet Up – noon-5PM Token Creek Park Shelter One
- Sat - Aug 26 - Stoughton Celebration, Rally & Picnic - Noon-4 pm - hosted by Stoughton Area Dems and Progressives see www.facebook.com/StoughtonDemsAndProgressives/ or contact Joyce Tikalsky, email@example.com
- Mon. Sept. 4 noon - 5:30pm - LaborFest - Madison Labor Temple - 1602 S. Park St.
- Sat. Sept. 9 - 10 AM – 2PM – Progressive Partners DeForest – Jefferson Square Clubhouse
- Sat. Sept. 16 9 AM - 6pm - Fighting BobFest - Breese Stevens Field
- Sat. Oct. 7 9 AM - 11pm - Wausau Grassroots Festival
A table at Labor Fest this Labor Day costs $40. We decided that we would not make enough money selling Karen’s buttons to justify having a table by ourselves. Karen will check with Rebecca about sharing a table with the Grannies selling their new book. Ginny and John St. will be working at the WGN table.
John St. has been trying to coordinate with Steve Hingle to co-host an OWR (Our Wisconsin Revolution) health fair in DeForest.
The agenda for our hosting the quarterly Progressive Partners meeting in DeForest September 9th will look something like this:
11:00 – 12:00 – arrive, socialize, break the ice
12:00 – 1:00 – potluck lunch
1:00 – 2:00 -- roundtable sharing of what each group has been doing and plans for the future
2:00 – 3:00 or 4:00 – program: Stacy on “up north” progressive activity or Katherine Cramer, The Politics of Resentment, or another presentation + Q&A (program topic is still open for discussion)
The northern progressives’ gathering will be Saturday, October 7th from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. at the Wausau Labor Temple. The title will be “Wausau Grassroots Festival.”
Regarding DWAG t-shirts, Ginny has taken over from Karen. Attendance at the 7/24 or 7/31 meeting or voting by email (to John Scepanski - firstname.lastname@example.org) will be necessary to have a voice in the color and selection of design to be imprinted on the t-shirts. If ya don’t vote, ya can’t complain.