DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots (DWAG)
July 10, 2017
Next meeting: Monday, July 17, 2017, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest. See tentative agenda below.
Present on July 12: John Scepanski, Ginny Brokish, John Stanley
There was no meeting July 3 because of the holiday.
Ginny said she called the school district on the possibility of computer training. They said they do not do that training for the general public but that sometimes their facilities can be used by an outside party to do things like that.
JohnSki checked on our status as a nonprofit group. The only thing we have is an EIN from the federal government that we had to get to open our checking account. John St. is checking further on our status to get a table at the DeForest Farmers’ Market.
John Stanley has a big conference call with 20 people tomorrow on the subject of the progressive festival in Wausau tentatively planned for October of this year. There will be speakers, tables, and plenty of time to network. The “Power Up” section of the Wisconsin Grassroots Network (WGN) is involved. Power Up is the action part of WGN. One of the priorities is how to attract younger people.
We discussed Ron Biendseil’s invitation to join him and others in regular visits to Republican state legislators. It was felt that we did not want to do this at this time, since we have two people from DWAG already doing something like it, but we should keep discussing it.
Tentative AGENDA De Forest Windsor Area Grassroots 7/17/17 – De Forest Library 6 PM
Review of rules:
1. Cell phones muted (except John Ski)
2. One person speaks at a time – no side conversations, please!
3. Raise hand to request permission to speak – respect person speaking by not jumping in.
4. Must bring request for a speaker to group BEFORE inviting speaker. Then person with idea for the speaker is in charge of the contact with the speaker, scheduling, intro, etc.
Modify Agenda –
· Fri July 21 –Songs for a Better World – 7- 9PM - District #1 Old Schoolhouse (110 N. 2nd Street) Mount Horeb. Tickets are only $12 in advance, and $15 the DOS. See: https://www.facebook.com/events/144674156094270/
· Wed. Jul 26 - Fair Maps Town Hall -6:00 PM - Brewer Public Library, 325 N. Central Avenue, Richland Center. Former Senators Dale Schultz and Tim Cullen are the speakers.
· Sun - July 30 - DaneDems summer picnic! 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Warner Park, Madison – potluck (meat supplied by Dems)
· Aug 4 –SWWAP Democracy Forum – “We The Many - United Against Hate” - 7- 9PM - District #1 Old Schoolhouse (110 N. 2nd Street) Mount Horeb
· Wed. Aug. 9 - Lanterns for Peace! - 6:00 pm Tenney Park (1414 E. Johnson) This family-friendly event is organized around the world in remembrance of the devastating humanitarian effects of the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan during World War II. This year’s speaker is Caren Stelson, author of Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor’s Story.
· Sun – Aug 20 – Progressives of NE Dane County Meet UP – noon-5PM Token Creek Park Shelter One
Old Business - * means PERMANENT ITEM ** means on agenda for limited time
· Reports by whoever went to events from previous week’s announcements: Other events of past week – Karen report on 350 Madison meeting last Monday; Karen/John St. report on WGN meeting last Thurs.
· *Development of a community intelligence repository (aka “Sign List”) Permanent item – need workers willing to review names via Google spreadsheet link.
· *Community Rights - Paul’s Workshop Tour in September & October: Curt Hubatch has confirmed that Paul will be leading his weekend workshop in Washburn County, WI, Sept 15-17. Many of you have expressed significant interest in him visiting YOUR community during that time to lead an introductory or weekend workshop. September 19 to Oct 1 is his ideal date range for scheduling additional Midwest workshops. He suggests we use August 1 as our shared deadline for nailing down specific dates and locations.
· ** D-WAG will host the quarterly Progressive Partners meeting in Sept/Oct in DeForest/Windsor. John Stanley will be the lead – Suggestions for program should be sent to John Ski! Suggestions from last meeting were included in meeting notes.
· ** DWAG T-Shirts, This was discussed. Decision was made to table ‘til after the 4th, then have next TWO meetings OR responses to emails used to vote on shirt colors and designs. NEED PERSON TO TAKE PROJECT OVER FROM KAREN!
· Political Discussion
– Date set for August get-together is 8/20 (Sunday) noon-5PM in Token Creek Park Shelter One. Columbia County Dems are on board, and Karen has official permission to download info from VAN for mailing to invitees.
· Conversations with Jagler about AJR53 – has anyone pushed Jagler for a hearing in past week?
· Letters to the editor~ Anyone willing to write contact Janet at email@example.com . A sample LTE can be seen at: http://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/mailbag/kathleen-williams-tell-legislators-you-want-hearing-on-statewide-vote/article_659fad7d-5c20-51b0-954f-882426df89c0.html
· Do we want to become involved with OWR In the near future, they'd also be very interested in helping organize a town hall meeting on healthcare in DeForest and Windsor that embodies the principles of speaking across party lines. If we are interested, Karen or John Ski can email them.
· Every Tuesday at 1:15PM – Indivisible/OWR meets to visit a legislator. Are we interested in joining them to meet with Jagler and/or Fitzgerald?
· Janet (and JohnSki) will arrange for the two of them (as the referenda champions) to visit the DeForest and Windsor Boards to update them on the issue and inform them of where their resolutions have gone since they passed in 2014. The intent is to get the boards to pressure the legislature to hold a hearing.
· Item added by John St – Wausau WGN Fest – Labor Temple venue $400 cost – we agreed to pay $75 to hold date if John St. could not get WGN approval in time.
· The group decided that it wanted to be added on Indivisibleguide.com – Karen HAS done that. She had to agree that the group agreed with:
o “Our group agrees with these three principles:
§ Resist Trump's agenda. We believe Trump’s agenda is racist, authoritarian, and corrupt, and it must be stopped.
§ Focus on local, defensive congressional advocacy. We demand that our own local Members of Congress serve as our voice in Washington, DC.
§ Embrace progressive values. We model inclusion, respect, and fairness in all of our actions.”
· IF ANYONE BELIEVES THAT D-WAG SHOULD NOT HAVE AGREED TO THESE THREE PRINCIPLES, LET KAREN KNOW AND SHE WILL DROP US OUT OF THIS ORGANIZATION ASAP!