DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots (DWAG)
August 7, 2017
Next meeting: Monday, August 14, 2017, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest. See tentative agenda below, following notes.
Present on August 7: John Scepanski, Ginny Brokish, Frank Dederich
- Tues, Aug8 – “Normal Is Over” – 7:30-8:45 pm – Fitchburg 18+ Supermax Theater, 6091 McKee Rd. – re responses to climate change, widening gap between rich and poor – hosted by Blue Jean Nation and others; tickets $10; https://www.facebook.com/events/338212703266647/
- Tues Aug 8 – Wisconsin Blue Gold – 6:30 pm Madison Downtown Library; film about water resources. by Gray Panthers, IWW, Peregrine Forum; 608-284-9082 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed. Aug. 9 - Lanterns for Peace! - 6:00 pm Tunney Park (1414 E. Johnson) This family-friendly event is organized around the world in remembrance of the devastating humanitarian effects of the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan during World War II. This year’s speaker is Caren Stelson, author of Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor’s Story.
- Sun – Aug 20 – Progressives of NE Dane County Meet Up – noon-5PM Token Creek Park Shelter One
- Sat - Aug 26 - Stoughton Celebration, Rally & Picnic - Noon-4 pm - hosted by Stoughton Area Dems and Progressives see www.facebook.com/StoughtonDemsAndProgressives/ or contact Joyce Tikalsky, email@example.com
- Mon. Sept. 4 noon - 5:30pm - LaborFest - Madison Labor Temple - 1602 S. Park St.
- Sat. Sept. 9 - 10 AM – 2PM – Progressive Partners DeForest – Jefferson Square Clubhouse
- Sat. Sept. 16 9 AM - 6pm - Fighting BobFest - Breese Stevens Field
- Sat. Oct. 7 9 AM - 11pm - Wausau Grassroots Festival
DWAG will host the quarterly Progressive Partners meeting September 9th at the Jefferson Square Clubhouse, 717 DeForest Street, DeForest. Final agenda and potluck expectations will be sent to the PP contact list and published in these notes.
Karen, Ginny, and Marcia attended the program on gerrymandering put on by Jay Heck and Bill Krause at the Firefly in Oregon. The GOP hopes to have redistricting, as ordered by the court, done by November. The SCOTUS will be hearing the case in October of this year.
What are we going to do with our community intel list: campaign signs, GOTV, event publicity?
Ginny is collecting information on event facilities in the Windsor-DeForest area:
- Rude’s, 150 people, no charge if order snacks from them and buy drinks
- Rodeside, free if order food
- North and South, seats 40-60, must spend $300 minimum gross in business ($500 on weekend)
- Holiday Inn, $65/four hours
- Days Inn, 20-25 people, $75
- Windsor community center, free with returnable deposit
- Norski Nook, small room, no charge if order snack table
John reported balance of $384.83 in DWAG treasury as of July 31, 2017.
De Forest Windsor Area Grassroots 8/14/17
De Forest Library 6-8 PM
Review of rules:
1. Cell phones muted (except John Ski)
2. One person speaks at a time – no side conversations, please!
3. Raise hand to request permission to speak – respect person speaking by not jumping in.
4. Must bring request for a speaker to group BEFORE inviting speaker. Then person with idea for the speaker is in charge of the contact with the speaker, scheduling, intro, etc.
Modify Agenda –
Old Business – * means PERMANENT ITEM ** means on agenda for limited time
· *Reports by whoever went to events from previous week’s announcements:
· ** Helping OWR get a Healthcare Forum in DeFo/Windsor-John St
· *Development of a community intelligence repository (aka “Sign List”) Permanent item – need workers willing to review names via Google spreadsheet link
· ** D-WAG will host the quarterly Progressive Partners meeting on Sept 9 in DeForest/Windsor at Jefferson Square Clubhouse. John Stanley will be the lead –
o Agenda Development - Std agenda includes round robin of who has done what plus host designed program item.
o Suggestions SO FAR for the program part of meeting: Use this as springboard for Wausau Festival – Stacy to explain why northern WI needs transfusion of Progressive Spirit – also get Kathy Cramer to add gravitas? Any others???
**Wausau Grassroots Fest
** DWAG T-Shirts, Ginny has taken over from Karen.
Political Discussion – Date set for August get-together is 8/20 (Sunday) noon-5PM in Token Creek Park Shelter One. Columbia & Dodge County Dems are on board, and Karen has official permission to download lists from VAN for mailing to invitees.