DeForest-Windsor Area Grassroots (DWAG)
April 10, 2017
Next meeting: Monday, April 17, 2017, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the DeForest Public Library, 203 Library Street, DeForest.
Present: Ginny Brokish, Frank Dederich, Stacy Biesel, Karen Edson, John Scepanski
• JFC regional hearings on State Budget - Tues. Apr. 18 – Spooner High School, Spooner ; Wed. Apr. 19 – Ellsworth High School, Ellsworth; Fri. Apr. 21– Marinette High School, Marinette; see http://www.wisconsinnetwork.org/blog/budget for more info
• Thurs. April 20 Kick-Off Meeting of the new Madison chapter of the Grey Panthers. 6:30 – 8:30 pm Wil-Mar Neighborhood Center, Youth Room (953 Jenifer St.) Info? #608-284-9082.
• Sat. April 22 People’s Climate March – We Resist, We Build, We Rise! - 2:00 pm WI State Capitol Let's march together, and take back Earth Day, a proud Wisconsin tradition. Info? Check out the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/156033178229398/
• Thurs. May 4 This Changes Everything -7:30 pm Majestic Theater (115 King St.) – screening of the documentary with a follow-up discussion with cast member, rancher, activist, and author, Alexis Bonogofsky, as well as a live video appearance by producer, Naomi Klein. Tickets are $10. Hosted by Clean Wisconsin. Info? http://www.cleanwisconsin.org/about-us/events/lafollette/
• Tues. May 9 Divided We Fall - 6:30 pm Christ Presbyterian Church (944 E. Gorham)– free screening and public discussion of the documentary about the 2011 Wisconsin Uprising by Katherine Acosta. Hosted by the Madison Free Skool, the Peregrin Forum, and the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW). Info? #284-9082 or visit: https://dividedwefall-movie.com/
Karen reported on her research into procuring distinguishing DWAG shirts: cost estimates: 1) online source customink.com $10.50 average price REQUIRES min. order 25 shirts; 2) Local firm (Budget Signs & Specialties): $18.36 (S-XL) extra charge for plus sizes 2XL + $1.75 each. 3XL + $3.25 each. 4XL + $4.25 each. Karen will finalize the information, send it out to suppliers, and get final quotes.
Stacy talked about the possibility of a “Bob Fest North.” She is in touch with her contacts in the Wausau-Merrill area. This would be a grassroots, progressive event.
JohnSki passed around the DWAG (DAP) March 2017 bank statement with checks written and deposits made. We have $855.70 in the checking account as of March 31, 2017. Contact John if you would like to see the statement or any past statements.
We should start talking about what role DWAG will play in the DeForest area Fourth of July celebration. The Statue of Liberty was suggested as a parade float theme. Volunteers are needed. Will YOU volunteer to help build and ride on the float and any other DWAG activities on the Fourth? Further discussion will take place at meetings between now and then.
Members were referred to websites during the further discussion of starting a progressives book club: see www.wisconsingrassrootsnetwork/home/resources/ miscellaneous_information/reading_suggestions OR http://deforestareaprogressives.nationbuilder.com/be_an_informed_citizen then click on the link to the Wisconsin Grassroots Network site at the bottom of the page!
Thanks for this info., Karen
Senator Scott Fitzgerald has scheduled office hours in May to hear constituents’ thoughts and concerns on the state budget proposal. http://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/13/fitzgerald