DeForest Area Progressives
Meeting notes for January 11, 2016
Next meeting: Monday, January 18, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Ginny’s, 3922 Partridge Road, Windsor Hill neighborhood.
There were three people at the meeting: Karen Edson, Ginny Brokish, and John Scepanski. One announcement: January 12th, 12:00-3:00, on the west side or State Street side of the Capitol in Madison, a rally to stop the passing of Bills AB620,SB288 and AB384 , which would open the Native American burial mounds to desecration and destruction. Also it would open the Menominee Indian Reservation to possible underground radioactive waste storage. DAP members Ginny and John Stanley intend to go.
Ginny posted new meeting rules for DAP meetings:
- All cell phones off except host phone. (Exception: JohnSki may leaves his on to respond to Kathryn if she calls for assistance.)
- Raise hand to speak.
- One person at a time to speak.
We also have new rules for inviting speakers to DAP meetings:
- If you have a request or idea for a speaker bring it before the group before you ask the person to speak.
- We will give opinions and discuss.
- A discussion of potential date can be done at the same time.
- The organizer of the guest speaker event will be the person initiating the event.
- The organizer will take care of any requests from the speaker.
Karen provided a write-up on Rebecca Bradley, candidate for Supreme Court justice in Wisconsin. DAP members are asked to write letters-to-the-editor pointing out to February primary voters that Rebecca Bradley IS NOT Ann Walsh Bradley, that Rebecca Bradley is a Walker appointee and she is a dedicated right wing Republican, whom we do not wish to see continue in her Walker appointment on the Supreme Court. Contact Karen Edson for a copy of her excellent summary of Bradley’s resume and endorsements.
Karen also provided a sheet of newspaper contacts to send letters to the editor to and which she will continue to update. The GOP website has a list of news media to send letters to. JohnSki asked why the Dems do not have such a resource on their website.
Karen is still working on a list of movies for future DAP reference. One she especially likes is “White Like Me” about “white privilege.”
We need more information about a vague request from Sheila Danielson for legal funds to pursue a lawsuit in Black River Falls. JohnSki said we should be sure we know what something is about before we commit DAP funds to it.
George Ferriter is going to run again against Keith Ripp in the 42nd Assembly District.