DeForest Area Progressives
Meeting notes for February 29, 2016
Next meeting: Monday, March 7, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Ginny’s, 3922 Partridge Road, Windsor Hill neighborhood.
Present at the February 29th meeting: John Scepanski, Ginny Brokish, Karen Edson, Marcia Riquelme, Frank Dederich, Janet Mills.
- March 7 – visit with JoAnne Kloppenburg, Deerfield, Marshal, Waterloo Dems, 121 S. Monroe St., Waterloo
- March 9th,2016-Bernstock-Green Bay, 4:00-10:00, Green Bay Distillery, 835 Mike McCarthy Way, Ashwaubenon, WI 54304
- March 25th, Thursday Night Movie- "Hacking Democracy", Madison Public Library, South Branch (Goodman Library), 2222 S. Park St. Free (information: email@example.com or 608-438-9536)
- March 10th, Thursday Night Movie-"Uncounted, the new math of American elections. All info same as March 25th movie night.
- April 2nd-8th Annual Grassroots Festival-Saturday-Wisconsin Heights HS, 10173 US Hwy.14, Mazomanie, WI. - Registration 8:00 am. Events 9:00 am.-4:45pm. (http://www.wisconsingrassroots.net/festival )
- March 12th,Wisconsin Grassroots Northland Festival, listening session, Saturday, 10:00am.5:00pm. LCO convention Center-Bingo Hall, 5 miles east of Hayward, WI on Hwy B.
All Kloppenburg for Justice signs are out, according to Ginny. Janet said she has not seen many in yards. Melissa Mulligan has more signs, and Janet will see about getting some more.
Ginny said the Blues for Bernie event went well.
Marcia led a discussion on W.E.B. Dubois’ The Souls of Black Folk as part of Black History Month.
Karen talked about a five or six week workshop she attended last year on Racial Justice-Wisconsin Tipping Point. She wanted to try to get more connected as a white person. There is a one-day, multi-racial workshop on racial justice scheduled as follow-up.
Janet said there is a lot to do volunteering for JoAnne Kloppenburg for Justice: data entry, yard signs, thank you notes, phone calls, and more. Go to kloppenburgforjustice.com and click on volunteer. We discussed other ways we might aid in the effort to elect Judge Kloppenburg. Locally, you can call Janet Mills – 846-4472 -- to volunteer to drop lit or make phone calls. Marcia said she would make calls to recruit volunteers. Janet will furnish Marcia a call list.
The listening session set up by Abby for Senator Scott Fitzgerald is scheduled for April 8, 2016, from noon to 1:00 p.m. at the Town of Bristol Town Hall. Marcia and Karen are going. Liz Temple and others have expressed interest. If you are interested in carpooling to the session, reply here.
If anyone is interested in applying to be a Democratic Party of Wisconsin delegate to the national Democratic convention, Karen has information and application forms.